Friday, August 19, 2011

Typecasting

“You, boy, are arrogant, hot tempered and entirely too bold. I like that. Reminds me of me.” – Porthos, 1993 Three Musketeers 

Have you ever seen Top Gun? A Few Good Men? Days of Thunder? The Firm? If not, I’d recommend them, as they are good movies. They all have something in common; Tom Cruise plays the lead role in each. In Top Gun the lead character is Tom Cruise the Navy Pilot, in a few Good Men it’s Tom Cruise the Navy lawyer, in Days of Thunder it’s Tom Cruise the racecar driver, in the Firm it’s Tom Cruise the lawyer again. All of these movies have different lead characters, but Tom Cruise plays the role. And no one plays Tom Cruise like Tom Cruise.

Some role-players are like that too. I know I am. One of my GMs recently commented about my character Logan. He said ‘He’s got a lot of Erland in him”. Arrogant, sarcastic, power hungry, gentlemanly… yup that’s Erland… and Logan… and come to think of it that’s most of my characters.

I’ll be the first to admit that I am not a good actor. I know I can role-play other personalities, I’ve seen me do it. So why do most of my character’s share the same personality traits? Typecasting. I am both good at and enjoy playing those personality traits, so when it comes time to roll-up my character, those are the ones I’m predisposed towards.

In All For One, I will be playing a Musketeer. Arrogant, sarcastic and gentlemanly does fit well with a Musketeer. I could type cast myself again and go with what I know I am good at and enjoy. On the other hand I could craft a different personality for Jean Baptiste and challenge myself. Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

If I play him like my ‘normal’ character, I am sure he will be well played and I will enjoy him as a character. I  risk having him be normal and uninspiring in both my own and fellow players eyes. If however, I challenge myself and play a different personality it increases the chances that he will be a memorable character. Assuming I pull it off. If not, he could be a disaster and no fun to play.

As my goal is create and play a ‘great character’, I am going to take the risk and go outside of my normal role and take Jean Baptiste in another direction.

Musketeer says flamboyant to me. So that will be the first personality trait I choose for him. Why break down a door, when a perfectly good window and rope is available? Why take the evidence of a traitorous noble too the king when you can throw it on the floor in front of him as a challenge him as a traitor in front of the king? 

Next I usually go with sarcastic because I am sarcastic in real life. I don’t think I would enjoy playing a humorless character and don’t want Jean Baptiste to be sarcastic. So the second personality trait I have chosen for him is good-natured. He is funny and enjoys a good laugh, either at himself or at others, as long as it is safe, good humor fun. Jean Baptiste enjoys life and what he does.

Lastly (three traits seem good to start with) I need something that explains why his personality lends itself to be a Musketeer. This isn’t his motivation, that is actually a step in character creation, rather it what makes him fit as a Musketeer. For the last one, I picked caring. Jean Baptiste is the sort of man who helps little old ladies carry their bag, who steps in to stop a bully, who hands his last few coins to the starving man on the street. He is not a priest and hasn’t devoted his life to helping other, but he doesn’t turn his back when he sees someone in need.

In summary; There is nothing wrong with being type casted in a certain role, but sometimes it’s nice to try a different personality for your character. Choose one that fits both yourself and the game.

Jean Baptiste – Caring, Good-natured and flamboyant – All for one, and one for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment