Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Party Leader verse Player Leader Part I

My eyes swept over the walls. I had steady reports and knew the situation, but now that I had returned to my command post I instinctively looked for myself. The battle raged and we were being pressed, but still we held.


I looked down calling “Tevian!” although it did not register until I said his name that the boy might not have returned. I felt a small measure of relief when he appeared beside me, covered in soot and blood looking much I must have looked.


The enemy had breached the wall nearby and I had lead the command staff and guard contingent into the fray to push them back. The boys, doing their duty, had followed to run messages and maintain the communication with the other sections.


“My compliments to Captain Arian and Lord Woolsack. Ask them to report at once.” Without a moment's hesitation the boy was gone. For a moment, I envied his youth and energy, and then wearily returned to battle.


“Gentlemen, the enemy breached our defenses. Although they could not maintain their foothold, it is a victory that will embolden them. Their next thrust will be devastating.”


Woolsack was an old man of many years experience, this news came as no surprise to him. Arian was younger, but a competent officer. Both shifted their eyes to the enemy.


“They prepare to pull back, my lord, …” observed Arian seeing the same thing I had seen.


“With enough daylight left to reform and come at us again.” Finished Woolsack, echoing my thoughts.


It did not matter that they assessed the situation the same way I did, nor did it matter what else they were thinking. I did not call them here to seek their advice. What could they give? My men were spent. If the enemy came again today, we would loose the wall. I knew it and they knew it. No I did not seek advice. I called them to issue orders.


“Woolsack, call up the Reserves and Rear Guard. I want every man and every bow on the wall.” I could see in his eyes the resolve to fight to the end, he approved of staying on the wall and not falling back.


“Arian, rig the catapults for maximum range. I want them loaded with the fire oil. All of it. When the enemy blows their recall, unleash hell. We pin them between arrow and fire.”


Woolsack and Arian looked confused. Both understood the orders, but could not see the purpose. Breaking a forward charge they could see, but hitting an enemy pulling out was just wasting our own time to rest and re-group.


“You have your orders gentlemen. Everything. Hit them hard.”


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The men huddled and were afraid. Their horse’s pawed nervously on the ground, sensing their riders’ unease. ‘Suicide’ moaned Kron. They were beaten and they knew it. Falling back to the keep made sense, what the name of the Seven where they doing in the marshalling yard? The entire Calvary was there, and Kron could see only one reason for it.


Five minutes ago, the enemy had blown their recall, the walls above singed with bows and the heavy catapults crashed near by, the heat of their destructive payloads could be felt even here. It would be hell on the other side of the gates.


The clink of a bit, the rub of leather and quite muttering of five thousand men silenced between two heartbeats. Lord Erland entered the yard. Kron watched him as did every man there. Watched as he mounted a charger and moved to the front of the formation.


The terror of knowing that they were going to sally out into the madness on the other side of the wall was gone. The King was coming with them.


“Riders! Stay with me! Hold the line! Our archers support us on either side. The enemy stands before us. Our catapults have blocked their orderly retreat. With horse and steel and courage ... We will drive them into the flames.” He spoke in a normal voice, almost quite it seemed. But every man in the yard heard his words.


The gate swung open and the sally ramps dropped with a crash.


“Let us go among them.” He said calmly and spurred his horse forward.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Woolsack stood on the wall. The catapults lay still. Eighty thousand men cheered. He shook his head as he watched the riders return. Beyond them the enemy fled. Woolsack looked down and saw his King, bearing a wounded man across his lap back into the city and felt a flush a pride, honor, and most of all hope.


An hour ago, he was sure all would be lost. The enemy had the advantage; they had captured a section of wall. They would have taken it had they come again. First the wall, then the city, and then the keep.


His King had snatched that from them. As the enemy withdrew to regroup for another charge, he had mauled them. Throwing fire into their path and peppering them with arrows, then the charge. That is what had done it. An orderly withdrawal had been turned into a route.


No army who’s moral had broken like that could be made to fight again!


 It would be days before the enemy commanders could reform their troops. 


Days. 


By then the armies of the East would arrive.


They had not survived this day ...


They had won.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been a long while sense I posted, the Holidays at work are brutal. But that doesn't mean I haven't been devoting some time to my blog. The short 'story' and I use the term loosely, is an introduction to a concept I've been thinking about: The Party Leader and Player Leader. The next two parts of this entry (coming in a few days) will deal with each in turn.

I would be remiss if I failed to note that the reason I've been thinking about these issues is that Jean-Baptiste has been elected Party Leader in the All For One game.

Till part two, Keep Rolling My Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment